TIANSHAN

Blog post #1 – Starting with Open and Distributed learning

Introduction

Hello everyone! 

I am Hengtai Tian, a 23-year-old from Hebei, China, residing in Victoria since 2016. I have a strong interest in econometrics because I enjoy utilizing historical data from websites to forecast economic trends. Attending the University of Victoria has provided me with numerous opportunities for both academic and personal development. I am excited to share my experiences about Open and Distributed Learning with you.

My Interest in Open and Distributed Learning

Open and Distributed Learning is an approach access to learning resources, fosters collaboration across geographical boundaries, and supports personalized learning. This approach has been instrumental in my study of econometrics. Its flexibility enables me to delve deep into economic trends at my own pace. Unlike traditional classrooms, online learning allows me to research without time constraints when I have uncertainties about complex topics such as dynamic mathematics and Financial Econometrics. With Open and Distributed learning approach, I can significantly learn and master these subjects.

Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash

Utilizing digital resources for educational purposes

Digital resources are tools and materials available through digital technologies that support learning and information gathering, such as on a computer or the internet. In my academic work, I frequently utilize essential tools: R code, and Eviews to analyze data and develop models for papers and assignments. By saving my work as accessible PDFs, I can ensure clarity and shareability of my findings. Also, I have taken advanced classes at the graduate course of Econometrics tutorials on YouTube, and I have started studying Python on Coursera this summer. This digital skills help me ongoing exploration new skills and knowledges which enhances my research capabilities and job competency.

Comprehension of Digital Literacy

Digital literacy is about having the knowledge, skills, and confidence to keep pace with evolving technology; thus, it plays a crucial role in our daily lives. My experiences illustrate applications and importance of digital literacy. For example, I have used the ICBC official website to prepare for my knowledge test, finding it an efficient way to study the material at my own pace. Creating resumes was made easier through learning from resources on LinkedIn and the Job Bank of Canada, where I could access templates and tips to enhance my resume. These experiences highlight how digital literacy involves not just accessing information, but also developing the skills and abilities essential for adapting to technological changes and succeeding in various tasks.

By University of Derby

Experiences and contributions to Open or Distributed Education approach

Photo by Reid Naaykens on Unsplash

Participating in EDCI 337 introduced me to innovative teaching techniques like VideoScribe and EdPuzzle, showcasing technology’s transformative impact on education that it is accessible, flexible, and collaborative. I will contribute meaningfully to open educational environments by continuously engaging in team projects and reflective blogging

Please feel free to share any thoughts, comments, questions, or concerns about my post, I am looking forward to read your comment!

1. Hi Hentai, I am also in the Economics major. I really liked what you shared about open and distributed learning as a way to access learning resources, facilitate collaboration across geographic boundaries, and support personalized learning. I think open learning and digital literacy allows us to find the right learning style for us. As I shared, open learning helped us immensely during the epidemic, allowing us to learn new things wherever we were and whatever the situation. There are also the two learning styles you mentioned for EDCI 337, which I also took the class, and those two methods you mentioned are two of my favorites as well. Enjoyed your sharing very much.